Eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring! Today I’m sharing my 11 best healthy Trader Joe’s foods… what do you think made it on my list?
A few years ago, I was a Trader Joe’s virgin. I had heard people rant and rave about how amazing it was, and I never “got” it because I’d never been to one before. Then, they opened the only Trader Joe’s in Kansas near me and I was pumped.
When I walked in I felt really overwhelmed by it all because I had only heard how amazing it was… but how was I supposed to know what to buy?!? I stalked Instagram posts and just started buying things and slowly discovered my favorites 🙂
Since then, I’ve become a regular customer of Trader Joe’s and thought I should share my 11 best healthy Trader Joe’s foods that I buy most every time I go. I’m not going into all the amazing foods they have (ahem: cookie butter and chocolates) but rather ones that are healthier options for my Weight Watchers journey. You ready? Here it is!
- Avocados- I know you can buy avocados anywhere, but at Trader Joe’s (TJ’s) you can buy small avocados that are the perfect portion. I typically use 25g of avocado at a time, for 1 Weight Watchers Smart Point, so I love the smaller size. It’s also a great option for my children because they can each have half of the avocado and nothing is left to waste!
- Riced Cauliflower- This is a well sought after TJ’s product that they have a hard time keeping in stock. If you ever use cauliflower instead of rice, this is fantastic because all the hard work is done for you! It is perfect for my Healthy Mexican Cauliflower Rice!
- Uncured Turkey Bacon- Bacon. Who doesn’t love bacon? What I don’t love is spending 2-3 smart points per slice of bacon. When I found TJ’s uncured turkey bacon I was so excited! It has great flavor and you can have 4 slices for 1 smart point! Thankfully my kids love it, too!
- Mandarin Orange Chicken- Another TJ’s customer favorite! This is a great option I love to have on hand for nights that I didn’t get dinner prepared, or just need something quick and easy. I bake the chicken and serve it over the riced cauliflower for a delicious meal that is only 9 smart points for a serving, and is a healthier option that Chinese takeout.
- Mandarins- They are so juicy and sweet and delicious! My boys are eating 2-3 at a time! I know you can buy these at most grocery stores, but the ones I’ve been buying lately from TJ’s have been the best!
- Simply Sour Cream- I discovered this sour cream early in my Weight Watchers journey and am so thankful I did! I can have 2T for ZERO smart points. I have tacos at least once (ok, usually twice) per week and a dollop of this sour cream is the perfect addition!
- Turkey Meatballs- I originally bought these as a quick lunch for my kids, and soon realized that they had amazing flavor. Sometimes I heat a few up for lunch and drizzle a little pasta sauce over top and it tastes like I should have worked much harder in the kitchen to make them, when all I did was pop them in my microwave. You can have 2 meatballs for 3 smart points or 3 for 4 smart points. These are also wonderful over a bed of butternut squash noodles. I just use my veggie spiralizer to make the noodles… they are amazing!
- Turkey Corn Dogs- Yes, I am an adult, and yes, sometimes I just want to eat a stinkin’ corn dog! Well, TJ’s to the rescue! These are SO good! One corn dog is 5 smart points and satisfies that childhood craving! Plus, my husband and kids now prefer these to the “other” corn dogs and I feel so much better giving them these than the others I could buy.
- Lite 3 Cheese Blend- This is the one item I buy EVERY SINGLE TIME I go to TJ’s. I always buy 2 packages so I have one in my freezer should I run out. I eat 14g for 1 smart point and it melts well and has great flavor. I highly recommend you try this cheese! I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
- Everything but the Bagel Seasoning- Everyone loves this seasoning, including myself! My favorite way to use it is on avocado toast or sprinkled on my eggs. I’m still exploring with this seasoning so if you have a favorite way to use it let me know in the comments so I can give it a try! You can buy this on Amazon, though I will tell you it is much cheaper in store. You can see it on Amazon here.
- Sprouted 7-grain bread- Oprah loves bread and so do I! I also believe we deserve to eat all the food groups, and this one only has 1g of sugar! MAKE NOTE: Since the new packaging this bread is now 2 smart points for 1 slice. A reader just told me about this because I didn’t know the nutrition changed along with the packaging. Still a great option, just make note of the increase in smart points if you are on Weight Watchers.
Another reason I love Trader Joe’s is because you walk in the store and are greeted with beautiful flowers! I love splurging sometimes and buying some for myself because what girl doesn’t love flowers every once in a while? Since I don’t like to reward myself with food, a beautiful bouquet of flowers is a great alternative and will last longer, too. I’ll remember them for much longer than anything I could eat to celebrate!
There are so many other Trader Joe’s favorites I could share, but I really just wanted to focus on ones that help me be successful on Weight Watchers. Do you have favorites that I didn’t mention? (I know someone is going to comment wine… since I go to the store in Kansas, they don’t carry wine… so I’ve honestly never bought it from TJ’s!)
Do you love any of the foods I shared? I’d love to know! Leave me a comment below!
-By the way, this isn’t sponsored. I’m just a blogger who loves Trader Joe’s and wanted to share my favorites with others! Also, the Weight Watchers points that were calculated are using my own personal WW e-tools calculator and is not sponsored or affiliated with Weight Watchers.
*Do you want to be notified when I post? Please subscribe to my email list and you’ll get an email when a new post is shared. Subscribe by entering your email in the link to the right. I’d love to keep in touch!