The best healthy brownie I’ve ever had… Black Bean Brownies with Peanut Butter are easy, flourless and guilt free!
Life is too short to give up the foods we love. I am a firm believer of enjoying all foods in moderation, and not restricting any food from our diets… but that doesn’t mean I don’t try to make some of my favorite foods a little “healthier”. That’s exactly what I’ve done with my newest recipe…. Black Bean Brownies with Peanut Butter.
DO NOT let the black beans freak you out. I repeat… do not freak out 😉 These brownies will blow your mind… and you won’t even taste the black beans. Promise.
I have been testing and re-testing and re-testing this recipe until I thought it was worthy to share. And I think I finally got it. To any of you who are baking bloggers… props to you! Getting these measurements to develop the perfect Black Bean Brownie was a tedious process… but one I think you all will be thanking me for very soon! Who knew I’d be making it one last time just to be sure it really needed that egg white!
I used my VitaMix to blend it well. It does a fantastic job blending everything up until it’s creamy. If you don’t have a VitaMix it’s ok, just use a blender to mix the beans, eggs, coconut oil and avocado then transfer to a bowl and mix the remainder of the ingredients together.
I think my favorite part of this recipe is the melted peanut butter that is swirled over the top of it. You get a little taste of peanut butter in every bite… and if you are like me, that makes you happy, too 😉 If you don’t like peanut butter, just leave that step out. Are there really people on this planet who don’t love peanut butter? 😉
Living a healthy lifestyle for me is about enjoying foods I love and creating recipes that are healthier and allow me to enjoy “goodies” without feeling miserable after eating them. I will say I had a lot of black beans this week… but I didn’t have a sugar crash after these like I would with “normal” brownies. The chocolate chips I have added on top have no added sugar and so they add just a hint of dark chocolate which I love. They are Lily’s Baking Chips and I found them at Whole Foods, you can find them on Amazon as well. (PS- Mine were cheaper at Whole Foods but if you don’t have one nearby it’s ok, your bag will last a while since you only use one serving for this recipe)
I hope you love these Black Bean Brownies. Here are a couple ways I’ve enjoyed them over the last few weeks while testing them!
- With a serving of high protein ice cream like Halo Top or Enlightened.
- Right out of the fridge. I know weird right? But these brownies are super good cold!
- Right out of the oven. They are cake-like and fluffy, so be careful when they are warm because they will crumble a bit but they are delicious!
- With a cup of hot tea. It feels like such a treat with a warm cup of tea. (I love this Teami Tea, and if you use code JOURNEY15 you can save 15% off your order, too)
Some other things I want you to know when making these brownies.
- You will need the Vitamix Accelerator tool if you make it in your Vitamix. You should have one of these if you have a VitaMix. The batter gets thick and you’ll need to use this to mix it well.
- If you are using a blender, I would transfer it to a mixing bowl after combining the beans, eggs, coconut oil and avocado. Make sure to stir the remaining ingredients in well, or use a hand mixer. I’ve liked them better the creamier I can get my batter.
- Melt the peanut butter before pouring it on top, it will spread much further that way.
Ok, now what are you waiting for? Go grab the ingredients and get ready to have your mind blown that you are eating black bean brownies! I hope you love them as much as I do!
These easy, flourless, black bean brownies are not only healthy... they are delicious! They are the best healthy brownie I've ever tried!
- 15 ounces black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 25 grams avocado
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 TBS honey
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 TBS peanut butter
- 14 grams chocolate chips (I used Lily's baking chips)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
Drain and rinse black beans and put in Vitamix (or blender) with eggs, avocado and coconut oil. Blend well.
If using Vitamix, add all ingredients EXCEPT for peanut butter and chocolate chips. Use accelerator to mix well.
If using a blender, transfer black bean mixture into a large mixing bowl and add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT for peanut butter and chocolate chips and mix well using a hand mixer.
Pour brownie batter into prepared baking dish.
Melt peanut butter in separate dish in the microwave for approximately 20 seconds, stir and then pour over top of brownie mixture.
Use a knife to swirl peanut butter into brownies. Do not over mix. Just pass through the batter a few times to make sure it's evenly distributed.
Sprinkle chocolate chips on top and lightly press them into batter.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until knife comes out of center clean. Do not over-bake.
Cool on wire rack.
Weight Watchers Freestyle Smart Points: 2 Smart Points for 1 brownie
*I calculated this using the Weight Watchers Recipe builder in the app, and using Lily's baking chips. If you use regular chocolate chips it will change the points value, so you need to re-calculate in the recipe builder to account for the chocolate chips you use.
*The nutrition facts below are based on using 14g of semi-sweet chocolate chips, not Lily's baking chips.
Photo Credit: Gourmet Creations Photography