This Chicken & Sweet Potato Skillet is an easy dinner that can be prepared in one skillet! It is packed with nutritious ingredients that will leave you satisfied and not to mention, it’s delicious!
Simple recipes with simple ingredients sometimes make the best meals. That’s how I feel about this Chipotle Chicken & Sweet Potato Skillet recipe.
Meal Prep Tips
- You can easily prep this meal ahead of time by dicing the sweet potatoes and chicken. By having the sweet potatoes and chicken diced ahead of time it will save you time on a busy weeknight.
- I keep a bag of frozen onions on hand because I find it much easier than using a fresh onion each time. You can substitute fresh onion if you prefer and use about 1/4 of an onion.
- You can buy bagged kale that is already chopped. This will save lots of time and it tends to last a bit longer too.
I tried this recipe with a sauce drizzled on top and without. Honestly, both were delicious and I couldn’t decide which one I preferred so I decided to just give you all the options!
- Drizzle just a bit of olive oil over top of your dish and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Combine The New Primal BBQ sauce and Tessemae’s Creamy Ranch like I used in my Turkey Veggie Skillet and pour a little over your serving. There is something super awesome about the combo of ranch and bbq sauce!
- Use the Lemon Garlic Salad Dressing from Tessemae’s… you don’t need much at all. Maybe 1-2 teaspoons depending on how you prefer your dressing. I don’t like a ton of sauce on anything I eat 😉
*If you use a dressing do not store your leftover Chipotle Chicken and Sweet Potato Skillet with the dressing on top. Add the dressing after you reheat it.
This recipe is naturally gluten and dairy free and delivers a balanced meal with protein, carbs and healthy fat. It is a fantastic recipe for leftovers, too. You can easily prepare this on a weekend and have lunch for a few days!!
Store in an airtight container and enjoy within 3-4 days.
Chipotle Chicken & Sweet Potato Skillet
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes cut into cubes
- ¼ cup onion I use frozen
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1¼ lbs chicken breasts diced into cubes
- 3 cups kale chopped
- ¼ tsp chipotle chili pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in skillet over medium to high heat and add in sweet potoates. Saute for 5-7 minutes or until sweet potoates begin to become tender.
- Add in diced chicken breasts, onion, salt and garlic. Cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Add in remainder of the olive oil, kale and chipotle chili pepper.
- Saute until kale is tender.
- Add dressing if desired. 3 options:1- Drizzle just a bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.2- Combine The New Primal BBQ Sauce and Tessemae's Creamy Ranch. Approx 2tsp each and drizzle over the top of a single serving.3- Use 1-2 tsp of Tessemae's Lemon Garlic dressing and pour over top of single serving.I'm giving you all 3 option because all 3 are delicious and you can choose whichever is easier, and sounds best, to you!
- Nutrition facts do not include additional dressing since there are different options available.