This dutch oven chili is an easy recipe that is not only great for dinner, but it also makes great leftovers!
Dutch Oven Chili Highlights
- With only 8 ingredients this chili can come together quickly. Most of the ingredients are things I have on hand, making this a great recipe to make when I haven’t been to the store!
- This dutch oven chili uses my homemade chili seasoning. Any time I can use a homemade seasoning I do because I love the flavor so much more and I can make sure that there is no gluten in the mix.
- I love using a dutch oven because of it’s size and how it cooks evenly throughout. The longer a chili can simmer the better in my opinion, and a dutch oven is perfect for that.
- Chili is great for families because everyone can choose their own toppings!
- To save time, you can use frozen onions and sweet potatoes. Just allow them extra time to cook if you choose to use them instead of fresh.
- Choose your favorite cut of ground beef. We use beef from a butcher so it is a leaner cut which we prefer. Anytime you can get fresh beef I recommend it… it’s SO much better!
- My favorite brand of crushed fire roasted tomatoes is Muir Glen. I buy them at Sprouts.
- Prepare my chili seasoning ahead of time so you have it on hand and can easily add it to any chili recipe.
- This recipe can easily be made in 30 minutes, however, if you have time to let it simmer on low on your stovetop, I’d recommend it, I think it allows the flavors to marry and come together so well.
Add your favorite toppings!
One of the reasons we love chili in our family is because everyone gets to decide how to make it their own. You can add so many different toppings so everyone will be happy!
- Corn Chips
- Sour Cream
- Saltine Crackers
Since I have a gluten and dairy sensitivity my favorite toppings for chili are chopped avocado and tortilla chips. I think the avocado addition makes it even more filling and keeps me satisfied for a long time.
Enjoy this Dutch Oven Chili recipe!! Also, check out my Slow Cooker Turkey Chili!
Dutch Oven Chili
- 1TBSolive oil
- ½white onionchopped
- 1orange bell pepperchopped
- 1lbground beef
- 2tsp minced garlic
- 28ozcrushed fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1sweet potatomedium-large
- 2cupsbeef broth
- 2TBSchili seasoning
- Dice onion and bell pepper and place in dutch oven with 1 TBS of olive oil and cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly softened.
- While this is cooking, peel and dice the sweet potato into cubes, and set aside.
- Add garlic and raw ground beef into dutch oven and cook together. Once beef is no longer pink, drain if necessary.
- Place meat mixture back into dutch oven.
- Add crushed tomatoes, diced sweet potatoes, chili seasoning and beef broth and allow to simmer for at least 15 minutes.