This gluten free chicken noodle soup is packed with vegetables and is perfect for a cold winter day!
Chicken noodle soup is a bowl of comfort. And those of us with either gluten sensitivities or allergies should be able to eat it, too!
I love adding vegetables to soups because you can sneak in a lot of nutrition that way, and this recipe is no different! This gluten free chicken noodle soup is packed with veggies and has amazing flavor… enough that my 8 year old took one bite and said, “MOM! This is so good!” <I was pretty proud of myself if I can be honest 😉 >
I use gluten free noodles in this recipe but you can easily swap out regular pasta if gluten doesn’t bother you. The flavor is still amazing and your body will thank you for all the veggies!
What noodles are gluten free?
My two favorite gluten free noodles are:
There are other options to choose from but I have had great luck with these and either one of them would work great for this gluten free chicken noodle soup.
Tips to cook gluten free noodles?
- DO NOT overcook. You will end up with mush. Cook al dente, which means they will still be slightly firm.
- Add salt to your water, especially if you are cooking them on their own.
- Stir the noodles often to prevent them from sticking together.
- After the noodles are cooked and you strain the water return to pot immediately, don’t let it sit in the colander or they will all stick together.
- You can easily swap this recipe out for regular pasta if you don’t need to eat gluten free pasta.
- I use this dutch oven to cook it in
- If you like more broth in your soups, add more. I find this is very individualized so start with what I recommend, but if you want more, add more.
- If you don’t have Herbs de Provence you can substitute with Italian seasoning, though I recommend using Herbs de Provence if possible!
- This soup is best served immediately. I don’t recommend letting it simmer because gluten free noodles turn mushy if they are overcooked.
Gluten Free Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 TBSolive oil
- 1½cupscarrotscut into rounds
- 1yellow pepper
- 8ozbaby bella mushrooms
- 2tspminced garlic
- 1lb chicken breastdiced
- 1½tsp herbs de provence
- 48ozchicken broth
- 1tsp salt
- 1½cupgluten free penne pasta
- Wash and dice onion, celery, carrots and yellow pepper.
- Add olive oil to dutch oven over medium heat and add in garlic, onions, celery, carrots and yellow pepper. Cook for approx 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
- While veggies are cooking dice the raw chicken breasts into cubes.
- Wash mushrooms thouroughly and add to dutch oven with vegetables and cook approx 5 minutes.*You can dice them before you add but I find it just as easy to use my wooden spoon to break up the mushrooms during cooking.
- Add diced chicken breasts, salt, pepper, herbs de provence and chicken bone broth to dutch oven.
- Allow to simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- Once chicken is cooked, add gluten free penne pasta.
- Cook until pasta is cooked al dente. DO NOT overcook.