This Creamy Taco Soup is going to become a new favorite. I am 100% certain of it.
It’s that time of year. The time of year where I could eat soup for lunch and dinner. Every day.
Soup is so quick and easy to make and if you’ve been a reader of mine for long you know it is no secret that I love chili, too! I have more chili recipes on here than any other kind!
Soups and chili’s make excellent leftovers and when you are busy, having quick and easy meals is such a huge stress reliever.
What is the difference between taco soup and chili?
The biggest difference is that chili has less liquid and soup has more. So, you don’t add much, if any, broth to chili.
If you are making a soup many times it includes vegetables that are boiled with a broth to marry the flavors together. A soup is generally made with more liquid and must be eaten out of a bowl.
What makes this soup creamy?
I learned this trick from my friend Jennifer at Slow Cooker Gourmet… she taught me to add a can of refried beans to soup and it makes it OH SO GOOD.
I “upped the ante” and added black refried beans to this recipe though and it is delish. If you have a Trader Joe’s nearby I HIGHLY encourage you to find their black refried beans with jalapeños and use that. They are my favorite refried black beans and make this soup even more flavorful.
How do I make Creamy Taco Soup?
This soup is super simple to make. I buy all our meat from Butcher Box so I recommend starting with a good quality beef. (Click here for $30 off your first Butcher Box order)
- Brown the ground beef.
- Put beef in a dutch oven or stock pot on the stove.
- Add all remaining ingredients and allow to simmer.
- Eat and enjoy!
What toppings can I add on my taco soup?
My favorite toppings are
- Tortilla Chips
- Goat Cheese (or regular cheese if you tolerate it)
How long is taco soup good for?
This Taco Soup will last 3-4 days in the fridge and up to 6 months in the freezer.
If you have leftovers I recommend storing in glass containers that store it airtight to preserve the flavors and keep it tasting fresh.
I hope you make this recipe again and again and I hope you love it as much as my family and I do! Enjoy!
Creamy Taco Soup
- 1 lb ground beef
- 16 ounces black refried beans
- 28 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce canned black beans drained and rinsed
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 TBS cumin
- 1 TBS chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried cliantro
- ½ cup beef broth add more if desired
- Brown ground beef in a medium dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat, crumbling beef while it is cooking. Place beef in a colander to drain grease.
- Add beef to dutch oven or pot.
- Drain and rinse black beans in a colander and pour them into pot with beef.
- Add all additional ingredients to pot, stirring until well combined.
- Cook on medium to low heat and allow to simmer for at least 20 minutes.
- My favorite black refried beans are the Trader Joe’s Black Refried Beans with Jalapeños. It adds a bit more flavor!
- Regular refried beans will work, but I do prefer refried black beans.
- I like a thicker soup, if you prefer it thinner, add more beef broth.