I have yet to find something that I don’t love paired with a sweet potato. It’s one of the most versatile vegetables in my opinion and whatever I pair it with just seems to be even more awesome because of it! These sloppy joe stuffed sweet potatoes are simply amazing and I can’t wait for you to try them.
My family loves sloppy joes, and honestly, I love them because they are easy! I like quick and easy meals but since I’m gluten free, there are no more sloppy joe sandwiches for me because I have yet to find a gluten free bun I can actually eat joyfully!
As I was creating this Homemade Sloppy Joes recipe I figured my family would still want it on their beloved buns… but I couldn’t wait to eat it on a sweet potato!
I honestly found it much more fulfilling and satisfying on the sweet potato than I ever did on a bun, and I love that it added some great nutrition to my meal!
How do you make homemade sloppy joes?
This recipe could not be any easier. Truly. And I bet you have all the ingredients in your house. It’s inexpensive, easy and my entire family loves it which means it checks off all the important boxes for me!
- Brown the ground beef
- Add in tomato sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt, brown sugar, ketchup and water
- Simmer if you have time for at least 5-10 minutes over low heat
- Top on a cooked sweet potato
How do you cook a sweet potato?
There are several way to make sweet potatoes
- Easiest and quickest is in the microwave. Wash the outside of the sweet potato, pierce with a for several times and cook for 4-5 minutes. If it is still not cooked through (potato will be tender), cook in additional 30 second increments until done. It WILL BE HOT so be careful removing from microwave.
- Baked in the oven at 425 degrees for approximately 45-50 minutes. Wash sweet potatoes and pierce the outside with a fork several times prior to placing on baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil.
- The slow cooker is another option for you and Slow Cooker Gourmet has a great recipe to help you make them this way.
You can absolutely still eat these homemade Sloppy Joes on a bun if you wish. But, I would encourage you to give them a try on a sweet potato. It just may be your new favorite way to eat a classic, easy meal.
Sloppy Joe Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 1lbground beef
- 8oztomato sauce
- 1TBSworcestershire sauce
- 1tsp spicy brown mustard
- ½tsp salt
- ½tsp garlic powder
- ½tsponion powder
- 1TBSbrown sugar
- 2TBS ketchup
- 4sweet potatoesmedium
- Wash and pierce medium sweet potatoes with a fork and place on microwave safe plate and cook for 4-5 minutes. If they need to cook additional time cook in increments of 30 seconds until done.
- While sweet potaotes are cooking, brown ground beef in a skillet over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain if necessary. Return beef to skillet.
- Add all remaining ingredients into the skillet and simmer for at least 5-10 minutes over low heat.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half, mash them with a fork and then top with sloppy joes.