This Slow Cooker Turkey Black Bean Chili with Butternut Squash is an easy recipe that is an excellent way to incorporate more veggies into your diet!
One thing I have really enjoyed in the last few years is finding new foods to enjoy. I used to stick to basics and didn’t experiment very much, especially when it came to vegetables.
Vegetables are not an “easy” food for me. I’m like a child in a sense that I much prefer a vegetable that is snuck into a food I am eating. I do enjoy salads on occasion, but you won’t find me with a plate of raw veggies too often.
When I began experimenting more with new foods, I was a little intimidated, but what I soon realized is that there were actually vegetables I LOVED and didn’t have to choke down just to get some extra nutrition in my diet.
My favorite “new to me” vegetable? Butternut squash.
Seriously, where has this vegetable been all my life?!? (It’s been on the shelf at every grocery store for the last 35 years, Amy 😉 ) I have yet to find a way I don’t enjoy it, so I wanted to create my very own recipe to share and hopefully make this yummy vegetable a little less intimidating.
I’m so excited to share my Slow Cooker Turkey Black Bean Chili with Butternut Squash with you today!
This recipe is loaded with veggies… and if you don’t like veggies, I encourage you to just try it. Like I said, I don’t want to sit down to a plate of raw veggies but there is something really delicious about how all of these flavors came together and created a bowl of soup that is healthy, comforting and delicious.
Another bonus? It makes a giant batch and you will have tons of leftovers so if you like to cook once, but have meals for days, then this one is worth your time to try!
I also cooked this chili in my multi-cooker so I saved myself the hassle of having to clean up a skillet and a slow cooker… I know it’s only one dish, but there is something pretty amazing about cooking it all in one pot!
We hear all the time that vegetables are important, but I like to know WHY…. I’m just like my 6 year old, I ask lots of questions 😉 So, here are the vegetables you’ll find in this soup and a few reasons why they are important to incorporate into your diet according to Medical News Today.
- Butternut squash- beneficial for digestion, blood pressure and is a heart healthy food.
- Spinach- cancer and asthma prevention, bone health, lowers blood pressure and promotes regularity.
- Onion- many possible health benefits including reducing the risk of heart disease, cancer and obesity.
- Tomatoes- eye health, can reduce constipation, healthy blood pressure.
This chili is more than just delicious, it truly is a bowl full of nutrition to help maintain a healthy lifestyle! I hope you make it and enjoy it as much as I did!
Slow Cooker Turkey Black Bean Chili with Butternut Squash
- 1 small yellow onion (diced)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 pound ground turkey 93/7
- 15 ounces black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 medium butternut squash (peeled and diced)
- 1 cup chopped spinach (frozen)
- 29 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 TBS cumin
- 1 TBS chili powder
- .5 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup chicken broth (more if desired)
- Add diced onion, garlic and turkey to slow cooker (or multi cooker). Cook until turkey is cooked through.
- While turkey is cooking, cut off the ends and peel butternut squash. Remove seeds and dice into 1" cubes. Add to turkey mixture in slow cooker once it is cooked through.
- Drain and rinse black beans and add to slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients to slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or high for 2-3 hours or until butternut squash is tender.
Want another chili recipe that is low in Smart Points? Check out my Slow Cooker Healthy Chicken Chili!
Photo Credit: Gourmet Creations Photography