Ground turkey skillet with vegetables is a quick recipe that is packed with nutrition and is gluten and dairy free!
When I meal plan I begin with a few things in mind
- How long will this take me to prepare?
- Will it make for good leftovers?
- Do I have to buy everything for it or do I have some of the ingredients on hand?
All of these are equally important to me to be honest. This recipe was created after I was stuck at home for a week with a little one battling Influenza B and I needed something for lunch and had ingredients I needed to use up!
I took note of some of the vegetables I had on hand
- sweet red peppers
I had just purchased a new grain free rice from Trader Joe’s (Organic Chickpea and Red Lentil Risoni) that I was excited to try as well, and viola… Turkey Skillet with Vegetables was born!
How to make Turkey Skillet with Vegetables
- Wash and dice all vegetables and add to skillet with oil.
- Add ground turkey and cook until done.
- Add BBQ sauce and ranch and stir well.
- Serve with rice or rice alternative and enjoy!
- You can easily swap out other vegetables if you don’t have these on hand. Other options you could try are sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts or mushrooms.
- Use a good quality turkey, I prefer to use 93/7 because it adds a bit more flavor.
- Don’t like ground turkey? This would be delicious with ground beef as well.
- If you enjoy rice, this recipe would be so delicious with white or brown rice.
- If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s nearby and would like a grain free option, any chickpea rice would pair nicely.
- I have only tested this recipe with The New Primal BBQ sauce and Tessemae’s Ranch. I purchased them at Whole Foods.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container and should be consumed within 4 days.
- This can easily be prepped ahead by chopping the veggies and thawing the meat ahead of time.
Turkey Skillet with VegetablesPrint Recipe
- 1 TBS avocado oil
- 1 zucchini diced into cubes
- ½ white onion
- 3 sweet red peppers
- 1 lb ground turkey 93/7
- ⅓ cup BBQ Sauce (The New Primal)
- ⅓ cup Creamy Ranch (dairy free) (Tessemae's) which is dairy free
- 2 cups rice or grain free option
- Wash and dice zucchini into quarters.
- Dice onion and sweet red pepper.
- Cook oil over medium heat in a skillet and add chopped veggies.
- Once onions are translucent and zucchini has softened (approx 3-5 min), add ground turkey to the skillet and cook until done.
- Add The New Primal BBQ sauce and Tessemae's Dairy Free Creamy Ranch.
- Prepare rice, or rice substitute, while Turkey Skillet is cooking.
- Serve over rice or rice substitute.
- You may substitute sweet red peppers for 1/2 of a red bell pepper.
- I chose to use chickpea & red lentil risoni from Trader Joe’s for a grain free option, but you can use any rice that you prefer including white rice or brown rice.
- I have not made this recipe with any other BBQ sauce or Ranch. Therefore, I cannot guarantee taste will not be different if you choose to use brands other than the ones I recommended.