When in doubt, add bacon! And especially if it comes from the oven! If you don’t know how to bake bacon in the oven I can’t wait to help you learn!
I’m not sure where oven baked bacon has been all my life but the last several months we’ve been making it this way and I will never go back to making it in a skillet!
Will bacon splatter in the oven?
No! And this is exactly why I prefer this cooking method. When you cook bacon in a skillet you have splatters of hot grease coming at you while you are cooking it, and when it’s in the oven there is no splattering!
What pan do I use to bake bacon in the oven?
You must use a rimmed baking sheet. If you don’t you’ll have a lot of bacon grease all over your oven, and trust me, you don’t want that!
I recommend a large baking sheet, preferably a 14×20. If you don’t have one that large a 11×16 will work as well but there is a chance you won’t be able to fit all your bacon on one baking sheet depending on how much bacon you are cooking.
- Line the rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Some people recommend foil, but I personally think parchment paper is easier to clean up. I wait for the grease to cool down and harden a bit and then fold up each side and then place directly in the trashcan.
- Do not to overlap the bacon on the pan. If it overlaps you’ll end up with pieces of the bacon that won’t be cooked thoroughly.
- When removing the hot bacon from the oven BE CAREFUL not to spill the grease because it will be hot! Immediately transfer the bacon using tongs to a plate lined with a paper towels to soak up the excess grease.
Why I prefer oven baked bacon
- I don’t love it when my house smells like bacon for hours and cooking it in the oven helps the aroma of bacon not overtake the house all day!
- It’s crispier and so much yummier. Seriously, I’m not sure exactly why it tastes so much better but it does!
- It’s quicker! When you make bacon in the skillet you are standing there for a while… when it’s cooking in the oven you can prepare the rest of your breakfast, such as my homemade sausage patties, while it’s cooking!
- No splattering! You don’t have to deal with hot bacon grease while cooking because it’s in the oven and it’s not splattering in there either!
How to Bake Bacon in the Oven
- 16 oz bacon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. I use a 14×20 baking sheet
- Place bacon in a single layer and do not overlap.
- Cook for approximately 18-22 minutes.Cook less for less crispy bacon, cook more for more crispy bacon.
- Carefully remove baking sheet from the oven, be careful not to spill grease.
- Transfer cooked bacon onto a plate lined with paper towels.
- Allow grease to cool down and then you can easily throw away parchment paper.